metal safe deposit boxes
Serving your Community for over 125 years!
On October 30, 1894, a group of men consisting of S.H. Cassidy, W.F. McMurray, H.E. Rice, D.T. Byrd, W.C. Rice, J.C. Elder, J.T. Woolf, William M. Green, S.C. Bennett, A. Boaz, H.C. Rice, W.B. Bennett, M.B. Lowery, and A.S. Threlkeld met for the purpose of organizing a bank in Kelsey, KY. A committee was appointed to solicit stock subscriptions. One hundred and fifty shares of stock were subscribed to twenty-six original stockholders.
On November 7, the group met again, and the bank was officially named The Fredonia Valley Bank of Kelsey, KY. At this time a lot, located on Crider Street and Cassidy Avenue, was purchased from Kate Maxwell for $300.00 to be paid in bank stock of three shares at $100.00 each. Besides the vacant area purchased for the purpose of constructing a bank building, the building known as the Barber Shop was also located on this lot. The Fredonia Valley Bank of Kelsey, KY opened its doors for business on January 24, 1895, and its officers were President D.T. Byrd, Vice President J.H. Rice, Cashier H.E. Rice, and Secretary/Assistant Cashier J.C. Elder, Jr.
Following the Great Depression, it was decided to liquidate the bank. However, due to local interest, the action to close the bank was rescinded, and seven new directors were elected: T.A. Bugg, William Young, Clay Norman, G.W. Hill, J.F. Akridge, F.E. Jones, and V.E. Coleman. The new officers were President V.E. Coleman, Vice President William Young, and Secretary Seth Wigginton.
In 1958, an addition was built that included a director’s room, bathroom, storage room, and a new vault which is still used to this day. Employees were President V.E. Coleman, Cashier W.W. Gillihan, and Assistant Cashier Leon Brasher. Leon Brasher was promoted to president in 1970 and served in that role until 1994.
In 1984, the bank expanded with the addition of a drive-thru, night deposit, loan department, kitchen, and bathroom. Directors at this time were Leon Brasher, J.D. (Dan) Bugg, Sr., Gilford Patton, Dean Akridge, William H. (Sam) Young, Fount A. (Tony) Young, and J.D.(Tucker) Bugg, Jr.
Paul F. Riley served as President from 1994-1996. To this day Fredonia Valley Bank sponsors the Paul F. Riley Memorial Scholarship in honor of Paul F. Riley in Lyon, Caldwell, and Crittenden counties. J. Brent Bugg took over as President in 1996 and served in this position until 2021.
In 2000, a branch was added in Eddyville, and Tom Jones moved from Fredonia to become manager at the new location. In 2021, Tom Jones was named President/CEO and moved back to the main branch location in Fredonia. Today, the bank is the oldest independent bank located in Lyon County.
Presently, the management team of Fredonia Valley Bank includes President/CEO Thomas E. Jones, Vice President/Sr. Loan Officer Steve Stewart, Vice President/Operations Cindy Cruce, Vice President/Auditing Rhonda Beavers, and Asst. Vice President/IT & Lending Lois Anne Tosh.
The present directors are Baron Guess – Chairman, Thomas E. Jones, Kim Brown, Edward Young, and Gary Holland. The main office underwent a major interior remodel when we celebrated our 115th anniversary. The bank continues to serve the tri-county area as one of the few remaining independent financial institutions and looks forward to many more productive years in the Fredonia and Eddyville communities.